I just got back from Circles Conference over in Grapevine Texas and wanted to share the biggest things that spoke to me throughout the conference. If you ever have a chance to go, it's one of the best conferences that I've been to. Great people, great details, and it's impossible to walk away without grabbing something that will inspire you. Here's the biggest takeaways for me:
- Say no more often.
- Don't be afraid to take more risks.
- Start a personal project that you're passionate about.
- Personal projects can usually turn into great client projects.
- Sharing your process is a great way to grow.
- Making something tangible will always trump making something digital.
- Printing your work out helps you see things that you wouldn't on a computer.
- Be deliberate about what and why you are designing.
- Showcase the things (projects) you want more of in your portfolio.
I could go on and on for a while but these are just some of the things that I'm going to start implementing going forward in my design career.